Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day Twenty-Nine.

Got up super early this morning (7am) to get to the Campus Center at 8:25. Turned out that we were going on another bus tour (could have been a walking tour which would have been bad--my foot still hurts a lot from our trip to and subsequent walking in Genova) around the Langhe countryside (region Alba is in--sort of like a county). This was part of the tour everyone went on earlier in the semester that I had to sit out because I was sick so I was glad to see some of it!

A local photographer came and gave us the tour, pointing out things for us to photograph and occasionally helping us get a good composition. It was fun to look at the towns and countryside in a more artistic way than just a "I've been here and want to remember what it looked like" kind of way. It was a weird adjustment, though. Especially since I didn't get all those pictures earlier. Oh, and naturally my camera died in the middle of the trip. Luckily it would occasionally "work" long enough to let me get one picture off before shutting down. So I made it through the rest of the trip by being stingy with my photos. I got some really good ones! Proof:









Tomorrow we'll go to his studio and get a lesson in Photoshop which I already know how to use pretty well (if I do say so myself =P). Should be fun but there will only be one computer so it will be eight people (the girls, Nick and Dan--Paul and Greg will be on their way to Prague) hovering around one person on the computer...Oh well. They try to plan fun things for us to do and it must be hard since Alba is pretty small.

We got back from our tour around lunchtime (a little later than usual! The horror!) and we ate and then went back to our apartments to study for the Italian quiz. I did really well! I probably got a B (that's better than I've been doing but refer to my earlier statements! A semester of not worrying about grades is liberating. Of course, this is the only class I'm taking Pass/Fail but whatever). I was proud.

After Italian I did a big round of errands! I walked (painfully--foot really hurts...) to the other side of town to find headphones (found them--7 euro!) and stopped into a clothing store and did some shopping of undisclosed amounts. Bought a shirt for normal wearing and perhaps gym wearing if need be, a really cool sweater/cardigan, some light sweatpants/pajama/lounge/gym pants and a pair of earrings. It was fun. On my way back to the apartment I got gelato (just a little!) and stopped in to Vin to turn in a voucher in exchange for monies and a peach tart (yum!).

After my errands I watched some Veronica Mars online (I'm rewatching the series--on Season 2 already!) and read over some pieces I've written for college in the past years, looking for something to use for a writing sample for internship applications (5 down, 2 to go!).

Oh, a change in plans! Last night Kiki brought up the idea of going to Southern Italy for the week of March 12th instead of Dublin since she really wants to see Southern Italy. Kate really wanted to do that too and I feel like I should probably get down there as well (even though I really want to go to Dublin). I'm here in Italy and I do feel like I'm missing out on a crucial part of the experience by living up in the Northern part where people are kind of strict and reserved (though not as much as America). Yes, I am going to Sicily, but I don't think it's really the same. So we've booked tickets for Lamezia Terme, Italy! It's in Calabria, in the part of Italy that is almost touching Sicily (kicking it). Look it up on a map. It's going to be warm (like Sicily) and beachy and awesome. I'm not known to be a beach person but I'm in Italy and beaches are different here. They are important (as in popular and well-known) and not full of trash like in Ocean City... So yeah, pretty excited for that.

For dinner most of the girls went to Osteria Nuova (the ones who didn't last night) and Kate didn't want to go to dinner so Jordan and I went to VinCafe and ate together which was slightly quiet but nice. Afterward we went to Akash and bought dessert to redeem a voucher. She got lemon tart and I ordered pineapple (like...the fruit) and received pineapple juice. It was delicious, though, so I let it slide.

Now I'm sitting in my bed while Veronica Mars loads. Yay. Tomorrow we get to sleep in a bit--don't have to be at the Campus Center until 9:25! Then we're going to the photographer's studio and blah blah blah, I already told you what we're doing tomorrow. This weekend is still up in the air. It's just Kate, Kiki and I here since Jordan decided to go to Prague with everyone (Nick is going to Paris). If Kate and Kiki go somewhere, though, I'll probably have to sit it out. I need my foot to get better and I'm sort of coming down with a cold/sinus infection thing that I always get around this time of year and I'd like to try to kick both of those ailments before Nice and Monaco next weekend. Plus, I have an internship application due Monday that I need to work on. So...yeah. Home alone! I won't mind. Maybe if it's nice I'll go to the market on Saturday. Plus, this is like the only weekend I'll be here in Alba until Kiki's birthday weekend after the Lamezia Terme weekend. I'll watch a lot of Veronica Mars, read my new book (found it at the Campus Center) and do some work. No biggie.

Here are my photos from today: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=153306&id=504487681&l=b52aff5d67

No comments:

Post a Comment